Monday, July 11, 2011

6 month stats

Today we had our 6 month check-up with Dr. Speaker to see how well (and how big) our little girl is growing.  Of course we had to suffer through those dreaded immunizations too - I just keep telling myself that a few pokes every couple of months is better than the guilt I'd feel if she came down with something I could have prevented.  Eh.  I still hate it. 

Audrey is tipping the scale at 20 lbs!  She is in the 97th percentile for weight and off the charts for length (105%).  Dr. Speaker admits she is a very big girl, but it's all healthy, well proportioned growth.  Yay for strong, healthy babies!! 

I forgot to mention yesterday in her birthday post that we have exciting news.  (And photographic evidence!)  Although she has yet to roll over - apparently rolling is for the birds - Audrey has started sitting up by herself, unassisted!  I knew she was ready to sit up before she actually did because she has remarkable trunk control and instead of wasting her time rolling, she's constantly doing baby sit-ups.  If she figured out how to use her hands to push herself up a bit, I'm pretty sure she could move from a laying to a sitting position all by herself!  She's almost mastered the concept of keeping herself steady from front to back, but she'll still tip over if she starts to slide side to side.  It's very cute to watch her sit up by herself, because it seems like she's experiencing a new world.  She does lots of sitting with assistance, but for some reason the unassisted sitting is all the more exciting.  Yesterday I had her sitting in the lawn for a few pictures and she was thoroughly entertained by the look and feel of the grass blades.  (Daddy grows them nice and green for us.)  She tried to rip some out and get a taste, but Mommy put a stop to that for now.  Dirt and grass eating are for slightly older babies.   

 
Our big girl, sitting up! 

She is also spitting up a LOT LESS.  I used to be able to count on an urp or two after every feeding, but now we only have one or two a day and they seem to occur only if she has the hiccups or gets really excited.  My carpet is breathing a sigh of relief.  I know that's probably gross news to everyone else, but I am beyond thrilled!  I'd like to be able to leave my house without the fear that I'll be covered in baby vomit an an inopportune moment, and I am SO over smelling like it too.  Her poops are pretty predictable now as well, which makes avoiding the public diaper blow-out a little easier.  This is no doubt the calm before the storm of  "I will grab everything, scream at the top of my lungs, and try to run in the street" public behavior that occurs as her mobility increases.    

No comments:

Post a Comment