Monday, April 25, 2011

Rainbow Trout Fish Farm

This weekend Nana, Charlie and Auntie visited.  With warm, sunny weather finally in the forecast, I was anxious to find the perfect outdoor activity for our group.  We have had enough of being cooped up indoors (can I get an Amen?)!  At the suggestion of a neighbor, we decided to head out to Sandy, OR and check out a rainbow trout fish farm.  I was a bit nervous...seeing as how we were driving an hour from homebase and I wasn't sure if Madison would enjoy herself, if the weather would hold up, and I hadn't even checked to make sure they were open!  Hallelujah, it was a smashing success.

The fish farm was pretty much the coolest thing we've done since moving down here.  It's located along the highway that takes you to the Mt. Hood ski resorts, and the town of Sandy was really cute.  Almost like a landlocked Anacortes, in my opinion.  The drive was beautiful, and the property was a massive expanse of woodsy green goodness.  Finally we all got some fresh mountain air and vitamin D! 

The staff at the fish farm supply everyone with poles, hooks and bait and they'll direct you to various ponds that are stocked with small, medium, large and obscene sized fish.  You pay per fish that you catch, and the smaller ones are the cheapest.  Naturally we started in the variety pond and quickly learned how expensive that could get if we fished it for even a single hour.  I swear the fish are systematically starved, because you can barely get your worm to sink below the water's surface before they're biting.  It really is perfect for the kids though. 

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll shut up now and just share some of the photos we took.  I HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone with youngsters insterested in fishing.  I would caution against letting them see the catch once they've been de-hooked though - Madison got a little squeemish once she realized there was blood and death involved.  HA! 









No comments:

Post a Comment